An SOA odyssey

Friday, April 07, 2006

Services and .NET 2.0

At long last I've started to look into porting our various frameworks to version 2.0 of the .NET Framework.

As a first step I was able to recompile the entire Enterprise Development Application Framework (EDAF) which included our customizations to the web service interface adapter and transaction handler. While I encounter numerous warnings (mostly related to changes in the System.Configuration namespace and how the assembly key file is specified in the project) there were no compilation errors. Next, I compiled our custom handlers (logging, rules, monitoring). All of that worked well so I was able to deploy EDAF to a new server hosting ASP.NET 2.0.

From there I was able to re-generate all the .NET code from our schemas and then reubild our common classes (such as the DataFactory) and base classes and saw virtually no warning and no errors. Finally, I built the Constituent Management Service that we use to handle sponsor information and deployed it to the server which once again went smoothly.

From my machine I then used our existing v1.1 Service Agent for the Constituent Service to make a call to the SelectConstituent operation. Moving forward this is the way our main clients including BizTalk orchestrations and the Ultimus BPM Studio will be consuming the services.

It worked!

From here it's just a matter of checking functionality for the various operations but it looks very promising thus far.


Post a Comment

<< Home